It is that wonderful time of the year again, when all of the yummy fruits and vegetables are ready to harvest! We were blessed to have a garden full of tomatoes, beans, corn, serrano peppers, yellow zuchinni, and pumpkins. Oh, and a few cucumbers, radishes, and carrots too!
We are not done with the tomatoes yet, they are still coming strong, and the zuchinni are always relentless. We keep planting less and less plants every year, and I think we are down to one now...I guess this will have to be the right number. We can't go any lower.

So, we still have more salsa to make, and anything else we can think of out of our tomatoes. Yummy!
We bought peaches, and pears from Mr. Tingey this year again. Peaches we won't go without, but pears were a new adventure this year. I remember canning pears with my mom when I was younger, but had never tried it on my own until now. It wasn't too bad, and they are sooooo yummy! We can alternate between the fruit this year. I have a little rule for myself, I won't open a jar until the first snow comes (well....if i can help it). There is just nothing that compares to home canned fruits. Thanks Mom for letting me help with that when I was growing up, and Thanks Jeniece for all the canning supplies, couldn't do it without those.
I like to think of Little House on the Prairie mom, Carolyn Ingalls, or other women of the past while I am canning. I like the fun times when friends get together and peel fruit, and talk about whatever comes to mind. Thanks Sarah and Christy!!! I suppose it could be compared to quilting together...those times are priceless.
Gabe helped this year too, filling bottles with peaches. Thanks Gabe! So, now we are ready for the winter....well almost...just a few things left to do. But, seeing those jars all lined up on the shelves is a very rewarding feeling. I am glad I have the knowledge and skills, and means to do this for our family. The fun part comes when we open those bottles, and I get to hear Jerry and the kids say, "This is sooooo good." I love that part!
Happy Harvest!!!!

2 comments:
Man...you are good...wish I was more like you!!! :( We did pears last year...and Klous is LOVING them!! I sneak one or two when I can too...they're good!! I just don't have room or ambition I guess...I should be better, but I'm not...so thanks for being an example to me!! :) I love you J!!! :) :) :)
You go JJ! I wish we lived closer. We put up about 90 quarts of peaches this year. Last year we did pears too, but I wasn't willing to make another long drive to pick some up this year. I really miss putting up tomatoes from our garden. And applesauce. Yummo! It is fun to see you enjoying your harvest. And anytime you have too many zucchini--we would be happy to take them!
Post a Comment